Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Sweating Copper Pipes

One of the most common tasks that a plumber will perform is sweating copper pipes. Now what exactly does that mean? Copper pipes are certainly not mammals so the concept of sweating seems a little odd to be associate with pipes. Well we in the plumbing world refer to sweating when it comes to a part of the procedure that is used when two cooper pipes are joined together. Now for home plumbers or what I like to call weekend warriors, this is a technique that must be mastered if you want to do any kind of serious plumbing. Basics of PVC and CPVC aren't usually as difficult to master as some of the more advanced techniques used when dealing with copper. So when would you use copper and when would you use cpvc? Well that is a question that a will probably have to devote an entire series of blog posts to but since it popped in my head as I was typing out this blog I'll leave it here as a reminder that that is a great topic for a series of posts. OK I know I have digressed(as I am well-known to do) but back to sweating copper pipes. OK I found a great video on youtube that I think really does a great job of explaining this process. The video is straight-forward and should be easy to understand even for a beginner. Now the plumber in the video is a guy by the name of Big Tony and he knows his stuff. What a great name by the way for a plumber, Big Tony, I love it. Ok enough rambling let me go ahead and give you the video so you can actually learn something useful today. Here it is:

1 comment:

  1. Big Tony is a master at these plumbing courses videos. While I wouldn't fool myself into thinking the watching the video would mean I could do it myself at least I know what my plumber should be doing. no more pulling the wool over my eyes.

    ReplyDelete